Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Funeral Songs (or: "I won't forget to put roses on your grave..."

While trolling the internet this evening I came across an article on RollingStone.com which revealed that some British poll had come out in which people named what song(s) they would want played at thier funeral. Some rediculous James Blunt song was the most popular (and I thought the British were supposed to have good taste in music...).

The article mentions the scene in the fabulous John Cusack movie "High Fidelity" where he rattles off his own list of songs he'd like played ("I've always had this fantasy that some beautiful, tearful woman would insist on 'You're the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me' by Gladys Knight.")

Got me to thinking what I'd want. Being that I've always had a soft spot for "down" songs, I figure it would be a hell of a long service if they got all of these in. So, here goes. (If I happen to die in some freakish accident in the coming days, make sure my next of kin gets this.)

Danny Boy (either the Johnny Cash or Shane MacGowan version)
Let it Be (The Beatles- album version not the single mix)
Time Waits For No One (The Rolling Stones)
Time (Tom Waits)
If I Should Fall From Grace with God (The Pogues)
Standing On The Moon (The Grateful Dead)
So Many Roads (The Grateful Dead)
Black Muddy River (The Grateful Dead)
Songbird (Fleetwood Mac)
Long Black Limousine (Elvis Presley)
'Til I Die (The Beach Boys)
We'll Meet Again (Johnny Cash)
Last Goodbye (Jeff Buckley)
My Way (Sid Vicious)
What A Wonderful World (Nick Cave & Shane MacGowan)
Angel Of Death (Hank Williams)
Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go (The Pogues)
Moonlight Mile (The Rolling Stones)
You Can't Always Get What You Want (The Rolling Stones)
Blue Turns To Grey (The Rolling Stones)
One For The Road (Frank Sinatra)
Slipping Away (The Rolling Stones)
Dead Flowers (The Rolling Stones)

I'm sure I'm missing a few. Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home