Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ordinary People

So there's been some changes 'round here lately, at least since I last wrote. It's Sunday morning and I'm pulling my bi-monthly 12 hour Sunday shift. It's not as bad as it sounds. The pay is good as well.

I'm back at Now Delivery, now working a much more palatable 2nd shift during the week. I also put in my notice at WPRO. I'm going to remain on in an "auxilary" role, but it will be the first time in 7 years I haven't pulled a regular shift at a radio station. As much as I'm going to miss producing Matt's show, the increasingly inelastic management stylings inherant to radio and the incredibly early start time (coupled with the 3rd world compensation package) make it no longer feasable or desirable. "When they said 'sit down' I stood up...ooooh ooooh Growin' Up", indeed.

I've got my fall/early winter concerts chosen for the most part. I'm checking out Van Halen on the 30th, Bruce Springsteen in November (general admission floor tickets, nice), and The Hold Steady next Sunday night. If you haven't heard of the Hold Steady, I heartily recommend you check them out. They're kind of like Elvis Costello leading the E Street Band, singing songs from the dark side about fighting, drinking, fucking and everything else that makes life worth living.

I'm rather annoyed at myself for forgetting to buy Neil Young tickets. He's playing at the Orpheum in Boston, and the shows sold out really quickly. I'm sure I'll end up getting a ticket "night of" or if I get nervous about getting in I'll hit stubhub or something. I was just listening to a live performance of "Ordinary People", a song from his new album (even though it was recorded twenty years ago...) and now I really want to check out Neil and his "new direction".

Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello was an enjoyable show a couple of weeks ago I checked out with Mike who was back from San Fran Freako for a few days. Elvis Costello was fantastic in a solo-artist setting, doing pretty much everything you'd want to hear from him in that setting, although he could have played for another hour and I'd have welcomed it. Dylan was more funny to me than anything else. He comes out to a Wagner-esque score and a monster-truck style announcer proclaiming him "voice of his generation" and touching on his career milestones (born again in the late 70's..etc.). His band is very good, but it's obvious he has either no interest in playing his older material or enjoys pissing everyone off by offering half-assed mumblings through them. This didn't annoy me as much as it may seem. I was laughing my ass off at such performances as "Don't Think Twice" and "Watching the River Flow". He seemed to be having a good time fucking with everybody, breaking out into little jigs as he stabbed at his electric keyboard. The newer stuff sounded pretty good, but I would have liked to have heard some "Time Out Of Mind" material, and maybe "The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar". It was entertaining and I was satisfied. The true encore was the puzzled look on people's faces as they streamed out of the Ryan Center.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home